If you are worried about how your much-loved chickens will handle the winter months we have both good news and some advice. Firstly, chickens are hardy, far hardier than we give them credit for and they will acclimatise to the winter months without too much intervention from yourself. That said, there are some checks and precautions you can take to make sure you have prepared your chicken coop for winter as well as giving your chickens as much comfort as possible.
Why should you prepare your coop for winter?
Just like your home, your chicken's coop will become their safe haven over the winter months. Ensuring that you have invested some time into making sure it is ready for the colder months will pay off in the long term. Anyone who values their brood as much loved family members will want to make sure that everything they need is prepared for winter to avoid their birds becoming unhappy or uncomfortable.
Benefits of thoroughly maintaining your chicken coop.
- Your bird's health is undoubtedly a priority over the winter months, and by investing some time late in autumn you can help ward off winter illnesses in your flock.
- You have likely invested both time and money into your pet chicken brood and their home and not taking the time to run through some checks might end up costing you in the long run. We suggest a thorough chicken coop check and maintenance session at least once a year.
- Egg production, one of my favourite perks of chicken keeping is the fresh eggs...I don't want to see this drop off any more than necessary in Winter.
How to prepare and protect your chicken coop in winter.
Here's our checklist for the things you should be looking closely for when preparing a chicken coop for winter in the U.K, once these are completed you can rest safe in the knowledge your bird should be as comfortable as possible throughout winter.
- Your coop will need emptying thoroughly, we think this is a great time to do a deep clean. The main purpose of this exercise is to check the wooden frame and panels for any damage or areas that might need some attention. If you spot any areas that appear damaged they may need repairing, this is especially important if the area will let rain and wind in.
- Taking the time to wash, dry and apply a water-based preservative if your coop is 2+ years old is highly recommended; our coops come pre-treated but after 2 winters this should be done annually. This process will ensure your chicken coop will last for years, preventing issues caused by weather is far better than having to spend money repairing it instead.
- Whilst it might seem counterproductive to allow ventilation it remains a critical element of your chicken's health. Our Chicken Coops all have ventilation holes positioned high in the coop to allow a natural flow of air above your chickens, when buying or building a coop you should check these are positioned so your birds won't get an icy flow of air whilst they are roosting. Even during winter, it is important fresh, dry air can move through the coop, if this isn't provided the air can become damp and the bedding mouldy.
- Provide extra bedding, this might seem fairly obvious but some extra, high-quality bedding wouldn't go amiss. It's also worth pointing out that Chickens will often be reluctant to walk on the frosted or snowy ground much below -7 degrees, and adding hay or straw to their run might help them to want to stretch their legs.
Final home comforts to think about for your chicken coop in winter.
Your chickens will naturally climatise to the colder months, they are hardy and well-equipped to handle frost and snow, but they will definitely appreciate you doing the following;
- Increasing their food, they'll be burning up more energy to keep warm, a nightly top-up before bed will help fire up their energy stores.
- Make sure their water supply remains frost free, they will need access to it even in the coldest months.
- Stockpile food and bedding so irrespective of supply, delivery services or any other outside factor you can feed them.
- Your birds will be spending more time huddled together but it's important to provide some entertainment when they do venture out, try hanging a cabbage or treat feeder from their run or fitting a perch that hangs and swings to give them something to keep them moving.
Regular price $221.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $201.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $195.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$128.00 USDSale price $195.00 USD
Regular price $169.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $195.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$214.00 USDSale price $195.00 USD
Regular price $227.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$260.00 USDSale price $227.00 USD
Regular price $396.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Please get in touch with any questions;
Bought ours several years ago. It's done very well having been outside the entire time. Looking for a new base tray though as the metal has now rusted and is coming away.
Excellent product and Good Value for Money. This is the Second Cage that I have purchased and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
This is the second one I have bought. The first one lasted about 7 years before the front part of the frame rotted and collapsed. I.would highly recommend
I needed a shelter for my motorcycle that provided sufficient cover despite my landlord not permitting a garage nor shed. I’d tried many covers which just don’t work for many reasons such as melting onto my exhaust or getting ripped apart in the storms. After a couple of weeks (through Storm Bebet) my new motorcycle home has proven to be a fist class buy.
It’s so much easier than a cover & owing to the space between the cover & bike there’s no risk of damage.
I love it!
Thanks for sending my replacement cover promptly. Will still recommend your company and thanks again for service l have received.
Excellent Service A+++
This is the second folding cover I have had and am very pleased with it, I like the fact that it's a full none contact cover that adds to the protection and security of my equipment,top notch item
Improved quality and fitted to the two year old existing frame like a glove. Perfect!
The order arrived within 2 days, well packaged in a sturdy cardboard box.
All the parts were there referring to the easy to follow list.
The Polytunnel was easy to erect, using the instructions, the steel tubes, just clip together, so much easier that the other makes that use Nuts and Bolts.
The cover fitted the Galvanised steel frame nicely.
It does take a little care making sure that the cover is in the correct position relative to the frame, using the white Velcro straps, cover was fitted into position
I would recommend the Feelgood Polytunnel to anyone.
Double Rabbit Hutch
Better design around the back corners when attaching to frame.The back bottom now has a vent.
Have now covered in tarpaulin to protect from sun.Should last longer. Great product and service.
Perfect just as described 5 stare
Purchased our original cover complete with frame 3 years ago, which in that time has stood up to our great British weather, lots of rain, strong winds and the odd good spells of sun and lots of regular use.
Finding out we could just replace the cover was brilliant as the frame is still doing really well. Since our original purchase it looks like the cover has had some updates for the better, a ventilation covered window to the front with the same originals on the side. Material feels good and went over the frame well, and prefer how the velcro is now in sections round the base instead of all in one like before. Only niggle we have is that the front of the cover is now not lowering as close to the floor as it used to. . But this could be where the material needs to settle after being folded up etc, only time will tell
Fingers crossed this lasts just as long or even longer than the last as they are fab shelters for those without garages
It arrived on time